I'm kind of like the Halloween equivalent of the person who puts up their Christmas tree and starts up the yuletide music on November 1st. To me, Halloween is celebrated all October long. For as long as I can remember, my love of Halloween has been an intense and passionate one. Forget Christmas (although I am definitely less scrooge than I used to be) - Halloween is the favoured holiday in my world. And as much as I'm on decent terms with Christmas now - I cannot cope with those who get into Christmas mode before Halloween has had it's day. I spite the shops that put out Christmas decorations before the 31st of October. HAVE SOME GODDAMN RESPECT.
Anyway it probably goes without saying that I'll be dedicating the entirety of this months playlist to my favourite day of the year.
- If you haven't seen Rocky Horror live especially around Halloween you need to do that. I have such good memories of a couple of years that I saw it at the Bloor Cinema in Toronto before it was re-furbished. Such a fun night.
- Elvis' Blue Moon isn't particularly Halloween oriented but in my opinion definitely carries a creepy vibe. Also makes me think of bums.
- Nothing like a Fleetwood Mac ballad to whack you into the Halloween spirit.
- I remember hearing this song from Donnie Darko for the first time on the boat cruise for my college's frosh week. We were all out sailing away on Lake Ontario after midnight - it was total blackness to one side and the perfectly cut and lit up Toronto skyline on the other. It was magic.
- I love CCR and I love their song "I put a spell on you" but it is forever married to the image of Bette Midler belting it out in Hocus Pocus which is another Halloween film you must watch.
- Dead Man's Bones is Ryan Gosling's band, and this song is dope. Halloween + Ryan Gosling = my happy place.
Happy October my little ghouls!